Well we’re already a few weeks into the new year. How are those health and fitness resolutions coming along? Hopefully most of you are on your way to finding that new you. If you’ve stalled a bit or never even got to first base, don’t despair- start now. We know it’s cold and instead of heading to the gym, you might feel like hibernating under your favorite blanket, but this is important. You made it a goal, think how happy you will be if you achieve even just one fitness goal. Try some of these helpful tips to keep your resolutions going through January and beyond!
1) New Years Day is just another day: Yes, January 1st is the most popular day to “turn over a new leaf”, whether it be fitness related or some other personal goal. However, January 1st is just another day. The truth is everyday is an opportunity to start fresh!
2) Out of sight, out of mind: This couldn’t be more true! Try hanging up a reminder in a place or places that will continue to remind you of what your goals are. Your bathroom mirror perhaps or your refrigerator? Perhaps a picture of that new dress you want to fit into. Or that new group exercise class you’ve been dying to try at the MAC.
3) Be Realistic: It’s great to have big goals. However, sometimes we get frustrated concentrating on the big picture and forget there are a lot of small steps between the start and finish. Try starting with a small goal, like I want to lose 5 lbs by next month rather than saying I want to lose 50 lbs. Or I want to get to the gym 3 times this week. Celebrate a smaller goal and then set your mind or the next one.
4) Partner up: Try finding someone who has a similar goal in mind and become a team in your efforts. It is proven that having a workout partner to help support and motivate you makes attaining your goals much more likely!Need help with this? We’ll find a buddy for you!
5) “Make it interesting”: Everyone likes a little excitement and a little competition. Try placing a wager of some sort with a friend, family member or workout partner. It just might be that extra motivation you need to get you to where you’re looking to go. It can be a monetary wager to something as small as who has to do the dishes all next month or make the bed. Anything to make it a little more interesting!
If you need a little extra motivation – try a group exercise class. Below is Maggie Jones teaching Aqua Zumba on Thursday mornings in Timonium.