Yes, we are currently in the NFL offseason, and yes, we have some time until kickoff, but that doesn’t mean you can’t pretend you’re at the game! I’ve compiled a playlist of songs, mostly played at M&T Bank Stadium (the Bank), others that just remind me of our beloved purple. Rock on!
1) Eminem – Lose Yourself. This song plays right before the team runs out – usually you see them lining up in the tunnel on the big screen. I always get the chills, and can see Ray Lewis resonating with the first lyrics of the song:
“Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted in one moment
Would you capture it or just let it slip?”
2) U2 – Where the Streets Have No Names. If “Lose Yourself” gives me chills, this one has me shaking. The players run out as the crowd is whipped into a frenzy. I never was a huge U2 fan, but the Ravens really made me appreciate this song.
3) Nelly – Hot in Herre (yes, that’s how it’s spelled). This song will forever remind me of Ray Ray’s signature pregame dance, even after he’s long retired.
The crowd’s into it!
4) Elvis Costello – Pump it Up. I often hear this between quarters. The title of the song is reason enough to include this. The beat’s not bad, either!
5) Jimi Hendrix – Purple Haze. Again, the title says it all. This brings me back to the Memorial Stadium days, where they seemed to play this song more regularly.
6) Jay-Z and Kanye West – Otis. A more recent addition, this song was played at games last season with a video montage of the players dancing and making big hits. Plus, the Ravens always “got [their] swagger back.”
7) Chaka Khan & Rufus – Tell Me Something Good. Sadly, I haven’t heard this at the Bank in two years or so, but every time I hear it, I immediately think of groovin’ in my seat during a challenge, hoping for good news!
8) Blur – Song 2. WOOHOO! Whether it’s a TD or a field goal, this one’s a favorite. Plus, you just can’t help but jump!
9) Gary Glitter – Rock ‘n Roll Part 2. OK, so I admit, I am a UMD grad, so you know this song is one of my favorites. I have heard it at Ravens games often, however, and encourage all you proud Maryland residents, Terrapin grad or not, to say it with me… “HEY! You…” (you know the rest!)
10) Kiss – Rock ‘n Roll All Nite. The clock is at 0:00, and the purple is triumphant. The Bank likes to send the fans off in a celebratory manner, and who wouldn’t want to party every day after a victory?
So there you have it, folks. Play this on your way to a game, or simply if you’re longing for those crisp Sunday mornings at the Bank. Am I missing one of your favorites? Please share!